Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 8/08/2016
NOTE: This meeting will be held at Depot Park
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Monday of the month.
1. Community Input
2. Minutes from 7/11/2016 meeting (Ruth).
3. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Ruth/Dave).
4. Recreational Passport Grant from DNR: (Steve)
5. Kayak launch and Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Application for kayak launch grant. (Ken, Brad)
6. Requests for memorial issues (Jan, Steve).
7. Move rocks to the safe harbor to improve it. Get estimate on cost to complete (Ruth, Mike)
8. Change the area around the perimeter of the tennis court surface to improve drainage (Ken, Steve).
9. Volunteer hold-harmless form (Ruth)
10. Revision of our five-year-plan. Committee decided to review each park and revise that park’s plan together at our monthly committee meeting. First park to be reviewed changed at July 2016 meeting from Ball Park to Depot Park. Review accommodation for handicap parking when reviewing each park. Once review of a park is complete, decide what park to review at the next committee meeting.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
2. Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (SEPT OF EACH YEAR) (Steve/Ruth).
3. New sign for Coy Mountain (Ken, Brad). (SEPT)
4. Discuss 80 acres that township owns on McPherson Rd. to decide what recreational uses it might provide. (OCT)
5. Coy Mountain forest management:
We were asked by the Helena Township Board to come up with a forest management plan for Coy Mountain (See the March meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
A. Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
B. If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
C. After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action. (NOV)
6. Discuss and decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at entire county for continuity. (See Master Plan). (SEPT)
7. Capitol Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the usefull life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. (NOVEMBER)
8. Hold harmless form (Ruth). (OCT)
9. Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (SEPTEMBER)