Minutes Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting – Alden Community Center
Meeting date: April 15, 2014 approved 5-20-2014
In attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Ken Masck, Carolyn Nowfel, Dave Peterson & Ruth Smith
Absent: Mike Crawford
- Community Input: None
- Minutes from 03/18/2014 -approved as presented & will be published on the HT website.
- Information from April Helena Twp. Mtg.:
Talked about the possibility of a new web design and provider of web services to be explored. The HT Spring cleanup day is June 7th. Ruth forgot to mention to Committee that the Twn. will hire someone to mow at the cemetery this year.
- Protocols and procedures: The grid for scoring projects that might come before the committee was discussed. Jan and Ruth need to spend more time upgrading the grid. Committee members were given copies of the grid. Input concerning the grid is welcome. Jan & Ruth will report back in May.
- Review our 5-year-plan advanced to the May agenda.
6. Letter from District Library Board. A path to be used to allow people to safely walk from the church to the community center was again discussed. Steve sent a request to the Township that they consider providing a walk way. The HT board did not have this item on their April agenda. The committee agreed that Steve would send a second request with a specific request that this be an HT Board agenda item. Ken Masck will try to talk with a property owner on this pathway to determine what the property deed says concerning ownership of the trail.
7. Prioritize future agenda items advanced to the May agenda.
- Dave discussed with DNR staff the ability of the township to assess park fees for parks where DNR grants were received. Christie Bayus, our DNR advisor, said that any fee schedules for the three sites where DNR grants were received need to be reviewed by the DNR for approval. This item will be put on the future agenda items list for further review in October.
9. Steve submitted the DNR online Recreation Passport grant application by the due date.
Other Agenda Items:
10. Coy Mt. Cleanup Ken Masck agreed to organize a cleanup day at Coy Mt. this spring.
- Application for June 2% Tribal grant funds for tennis court repair was discussed & approved by the Committee. Steve will prepare the new application due before June 30th.
- To set out buoys the Township needs to request approval through the DNR. The decision was made that buoys would be a good idea at the Ballpark, Depot, Archie Valleau Landing and Marys Beach sites. Part of the application process includes statements from adjacent land owners that they approve. Jan Loveland, Carolyn Nowfel and Ken Masck will work on completing this project by the end of May.
Minutes Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting April 15, 2014 Continued
- Action Items needed:
- Will work with Jan and Ken to complete paperwork to request the DNR approve buoys (see 12).
- May contact colleges concerning the possibility of students taking on a project to work on a site plan for the Alden Ball Park.
- Will talk with Heidi Shaffer about meeting with us to look over HT properties and discuss water access.
- Will take pictures of signage at various Pk & Rec sites to bring to Committee for discussion in May.
- Continues to work with company on garlic mustard eradication.
- Contacted Christie Bayus concerning restrictions on charging fees at parks where a DNR grant was obtained.
- Has arranged for a spraying of the garlic mustard on Coy Mountain this spring.
- To work with Ruth on further developing a scoring grid for projects coming to the Pk. & Rec. Committee
- Will work with Carolyn and Ken to complete paperwork to request the DNR approve buoys (see 12).
- Talked with Bob Robbins to let him know his survey input was received by the Pk. & Rec. Committee.
- To walk the trails at Coy Mountain with Brad Gerlock to help asses issues of trail maintenance and possible trail development.
- Will work with Carolyn and Jan to complete paperwork to request the DNR approve buoys (see 12)
- Will organize a trailing cleaning at Coy Mountain this spring.
- Checked and the signs at Glacier Hills are made by Signs Now in TC2. The April minutes need to be prepared for review by the Committee and will be sent to Rick after feedback is received from committee members.
3. Wk. with Jan on further develp. a scoring grid for projects coming to the Pk. & Rec. Committee for review.
A. Sent February minutes to Joyce Looman for publishing online.
B. Prepared March minutes for committee review at April meeting.
Action Items needed continued:
- Minutes Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting April 15, 2014 Continued
1. He will ask for abstracts for the HT Coy Mt. and Ball Park properties.
1.The approved March minutes are to be sent to Joyce Looman for publishing online.
- Follow-up contact GT Band (Tyvin) concerning dates for summer camps.
- Will again complete a 2% Tribal Grant application for help with tennis court repairs (June deadline).
- Will again send resolution to the HT board recommending that they explore the possibility of opening a pedestrian walkway in Alley 1 between Smalley Rd and the Library (Community Center) and will specifically ask that this issue be put on the May HT Bd. meeting agenda.
- Will type up the scoring grid for projects presented to the Pk. & Rec. Committee for review as it is revised.
A. Has contacted Tyvin no response as of the April meeting.
- Completed the online DNR Passport grant application for help with tennis court repairs by April 1st.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
These items will continue to be carried forward until they are discussed by the Committee
- October – Discuss fee schedule for use of Park or pavilions or
2. Discuss handicap parking in Helena Township.
3. Discuss developing a plan for a reservation system for all township parks.
4. Discuss doing a memo to the Twp. Board about placing signs at all parks to clarify that the township owns them and who to contact if there are questions or concerns about the site. This is to be discussed after the committee has a chance to visit all the Parks and Road Access sites this Spring/Summer.
- Maps we use for Pks & Rec. Five Yr. Plan + are correct? keep contact with Dan Roketenetz on this. Be sure the signs at the Lake St. and other sites give the public a clear idea of what is public and what is private land.
- Work to update the Parks and Recreation pages of the Helena Township web site.
- Mike mentioned the AAU Sports / Recreation Complex Morey Complex- and suggested that they may be looking to locate a similar complex in Northern Michigan.
- Look into the possibility of Flo McCormick (MI Assoc. of Counties) helping with writing any Pks. And Rec.
grants. (Mike Crawford). Determine a grant writing resource and consider a grant recommendation review committee (P&R Committee – ?) that would review grants and give input to the Township Board (Rick)
9. Consider Keith Charters as a resource for Pk. & Rec. projects.
10. Riparian rights / possible review by township attorney (Dave)
11. Any new equipment (picnic tables, benches, etc.)should not be made of wood (Rick) see Ricks page
12. Further discuss Alden Safe Harbor and its park status / ownership memo to Board?
- Research rules and laws governing road ending lake access sites (Steve, Ruth)
- Deed restrictions for Helena Twp. Parks are to be reviewed. (Bring copies of deeds -Steve)
15 Check responsibilities of the Parks & Rec. Committee outlined in the current HT Master Plan.
The next monthly meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 – 3 PM at the Helena Township Offices.
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 04-16-2014