Parks and Recreation Minutes April 2018

      Comments Off on Parks and Recreation Minutes April 2018

Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 4/04/2018 Approved 05/02/2018

Meeting time is 7:00 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month. In attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Ruth Smith, & Laura Westerman. Absent: Jeanne Peeples, & Bonnie Robbins

1. Community input – None

2. Minutes from 3/07/2018 meeting (Ruth). Approved as presented & will be published on the HT website.

3. Information from March Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth). The Coy Mt. path rework project was approved by the HT board. Steve Dell will work with Steve Lagerquist, Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy, (GTRLC) & Dave Peterson, Helena Township (HT) Board, to complete a Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU). The board supports a Focus Fund Endowment Grant request. Ruth will work on this application.


4. Update on GTRLC/H.T. Coy Mt. project. Steve worked with Dave Peterson and Steve Lagerquist to work out the language of the MOU. This has been completed and signatures are being obtained. Steve Lagerquist is working to obtain needed details for compliance with the building codes on the pathway steps. He has also talked with Dean Crandall concerning plans for the trail rework. There has been discussion on needed signage at the trail and Steve L. (GTRLC) is pursuing possible financing for signage.

5. HT Parks Community Survey and revision of our 5-year plan. (Steve/Ruth/Jan/Jim/Bonnie/Laura) Community Description: Jim Completed and approved Administrative Structure: Bonnie Completed and approved Inventory of parks…etc.: Ruth/Jan/Laura Completed and approved Previous Grant Assisted Parks: Steve In progress.Resource Inventory: Steve Completed and approved Description of Planning…etc.: Bonnie Completed and approved Goals, Objectives…etc.: Ruth/Steve Completed and approved Plan Certification Checklist: Steve To be done after the plan is approved by HT board. Database for respondents who requested contact: Jan/Ruth An email or a letter will be sent to each respondent giving them information about how to access the plan and submit input if they wish. (Completed) July 1: July 31: Monkey Survey to get public input. Advertise via newspapers, flyers, postcards. (Completed) August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension assisted. (Completed) October: Met with other stakeholders (Alden Men’s Club, Torch Conservation Center, etc.) to discuss results and get input. (Completed) Sept April: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan” (Completed) April: Plan approved as presented at April P&R meeting. April: Bonnie: to arrange notice of completion of the plan and how to review and comment on the plan in the Elk Rapids News and Antrim Review & put flyers up in town. Jan: to check to see if this can be publicized in Trout and About. Ruth: to check to see if this can be publicized in The Voice. Put a notice on the P&R board Steve: to get the plan to the HT Board, arrange to have it published on the HT website, prepare paper copies of the plan to be available at the library and the HT office. June: Offer an opportunity for public input at the regular P&R meeting June 6th. If revisions are needed schedule a special meeting to approve the plan once completed. June/July: Present completed plan to HT Board for review and approval. July: Submit approved plan to DNR prior to this date.


6. Open House for Tennis Courts per DNR grant request obligations. (Steve/Ruth) The plan is to meet with a representative from the Alden Men’s Club to determine the date & details of the Pickleball tournament to see if the open house / ribbon cutting can be incorporated into this event.

7. FOCUS Fund Endowment Grant Application. The proposed grant application information was reviewed and the revised version will be input online before the May 1st deadline. Supportive materials to be included were discussed.

8. The P&R Committee voted to ask Dave Peterson for a revision of some of the language in the current hold-harmless form. Ruth agreed to approach Dave concerning this request.

The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg. Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 04/ 06/2018