Parks and Recreation Minutes – January 21, 2014

Minutes Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting – Alden Community Center Meeting date: January 21, 2014                                                                      Approved 02-18-2014

In attendance: Steve Dell, Jan Loveland, Ken Masck, Dave Peterson & Ruth Smith.  Absent:  Mike Crawford & Carolyn Nowfel

  1. Community Input: See below under New Business – Letter from District Library Board.
  2. Minutes from 11/19/2013 -approved as presented & will be published on the HT website.
  3. Information from December Helena Twp. Mtg.: Steve Dell attended the meeting and presented the Tribal grant for tennis court resurfacing. The board approved the submission of the grant and that has been done.


  1. Steve shared copies of the grant presented to the GR Band concerning tennis court repair or replacement. 5. Prioritize “future agenda items” – this was moved forward to the February agenda.
  2. We looked at the 5 year plan and decided to discuss the parks in the following order to decide on action steps to move forward toward the goals and objectives stated in the plan: A. Coy Mountain, B. Depot Park, C. Tennis Court Park, D. Ball Park, E. Community Center, F. Archie Valleau landing, G. Safe Harbor. We began looking over information in the 5 year plan concerning Coy Mt. and discussed actions steps.
  3. Development of protocols and procedures that enable us to reach decisions and form recommendations on projects and other requests presented to the Pk & Rec. Committee was discussed. It was decided to seek clarification from the HT Board as to the role they see Pks & Rec. playing in these decisions.

NEW BUSINESS: 8. Ken Masck was asked to be on the Committee and is interested. The Committee members who were present were all in agreement and the HT supervisor will be asked to consider appointing Ken to the PK & Rec. Committee.

  1. There was a letter received from the District Library Board asking that Pks. & Rec. look into improving a current two track going from the Church to the Community Center into a walking trail. The Committee agreed to look into this further.
  2. Further discussion of developing a plan for a reservation system for all township parks will be moved to the February meeting.
  3. Discussion of doing a memo to Twp. Board about placing signs at all parks to clarify that the township owns them and who to contact if there are questions or problems with the parks was moved to the February meeting.
  4. Carolyn has located the provision in the HT Master Plan that states a HT  Planning Commission member be appointed to the Pk. & Rec. Committee and has passed this information on to Dave Peterson.
  5. Dave will contact Christie Bayus of DNR to clarify whether rental fees can be assessed for properties where DNR grant monies have been obtained. He will report back to the Committee.

Minutes Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting – Jan. 21, 2014   Center Continued 14.   There is a DNR grant Workshop January 28th and Ruth plans to attend.

Action Items needed: Carolyn:

  1. May contact colleges concerning the possibility of students taking on a project to work on a site plan for the Alden Ball Park.A. to research the HT Master Plan concerning the planning commission appointing one of its members to the Parks and Rec Committee. She will give her findings to Dave Peterson – Done. B. To talk with Jack Findley about the possibility of the Alden Volunteers taking on the spring cleaning project for Coy Mountain. – Done.
  2. C. To write up an ad asking for volunteers for the Pks and Rec. Committee. This is to be published in the paper and posting on the Pk & Rec. board and other appropriate locations. – Because Ken Masck is to join the Committee and we will possibly have a representative from the Planning Commission this item is being deleted. Dave:     1. To contact Christie Bayus concerning restrictions on charging fees at parks where a DNR grant was obtained.
  3. Actions completed +
  4. Obtain an estimate for spraying to eradicate the garlic mustard at Coy Mountain this year.
  5. Obtain a bulletin board to be located near the library for posting Pk. and Rec. materials Ken:
  6. Actions completed A. Dave has taken the information on appointing a member of the Planning Committee to Pks. & Rec. to supervisor Teague and Jim Gurr has been appointed to the Pk. & Rec. Committee.
  1. To talk with Bob Logee about the status of the two track that goes between the church and the Jan: Talk with Bob Robbins Re: questions concerning public input on the plan not being on the website. Ruth:   1.The approved November minutes are to be sent to Joyce Looman for publishing online.   3. To attend the DNR grants training in January. 2. To prepare a memo asking that the HT Board clarify what role they want Pks & Rec. to play concerning    3. Research Coy Mountain Deed concerning any hunting restrictions. Actions completed: A. Obtained the names of contractors from whom to obtain estimates on tennis court resurfacing or replacement. B. Prepared a grant application with supporting documentation requesting funds from the GT Band. This included obtaining estimates and talking with others who have worked on similar grant applications. C. Talked with Tom Comfort concerning the proposed plan for obtaining a grant.
  2. D. Presented the grant application to the HT board at the December meeting. E. Grant was filed on time.
  3.    4. Contact GT Band (Tyvin) concerning dates for summer camps.
  4.    Recommendations on projects and other requests that come before the Pk. & Rec. Committee.
  5. 4. To look for information on hunting provisions at Coy Mountain. Actions completed: A. Worked with Steve to obtain the names of contractors from whom to obtain estimates on tennis court resurfacing or replacement. B. Prepared Nov. minutes and sent them to be published online with copy to Rick T. Action Items needed: Steve:  1. To prepare a memo for Rick Teague asking that Ken Masck be appointed to Pk and Rec. Committee.
  6. 2. The January minutes need to be prepared for review by the Committee and will be sent to Rick after feedback from committee members.
  7. Mike:  Volunteered to obtain some abstracts we might find useful.
  8. Community Center.   2.   To talk with Brad Gerlock concerning his possibly walking the trails at Coy Mountain to help asses issues of trail maintenance and possible trail development.   3.   Will look into the details and costs of the signs at Glacier Hills.

FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:       These items will continue to be carried forward until they are discussed by the Committee 1. Deed restrictions for Helena Twp. Parks are to be reviewed.  (Bring copies of deeds -Steve) 2. Riparian rights / possible review by township attorney (Dave) 3. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). 4. Research rules and laws governing road ending lake access sites (Steve, Ruth) 5. Further discuss Alden Safe Harbor and its park status / ownership – memo to Board? 6. Work to update the Parks and Recreation pages of the Helena Township web site.




  1. Mike mentioned the AAU Sports / Recreation Complex – Morey Complex- and suggested that they may be     looking to locate a similar complex in Northern Michigan.
  2. Look into the possibility of Flo McCormick (MI Assoc. of Counties) helping with writing any Pks. And Rec.  grants. (Mike Crawford). Determine a grant writing resource and consider a grant recommendation review committee (P&R Committee – ?) that would review grants and give input to the Township Board (Rick) 9. Consider Keith Charters as a resource for Pk. & Rec. projects. 10. Check responsibilities of Parks & Rec. Comm. outlined in the current HT Master Plan 11. Any new equipment (picnic tables, benches, etc.) in our parks should not be made of wood (Rick) 12. Follow-up to see that the map we use for Pks & Rec. purposes are correct – keep contact with Dan Roketenetz on this. Be sure the signs at the Lake St. and other sites give the public a clear idea of what is public and what is private land.


The next monthly meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 18th, 2014 at 3 PM at the Helena Township Offices.

Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 02-15-2014