Minutes -Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting – Alden Community Center
02/19/2013 Approved 3/19/2013
In attendance – Harvey Bartel, Mike Crawford, Steve Dell, Carolyn Nowfel, Dave Peterson & Ruth Smith / Absent – Jan Loveland & Casey McDowell
Community Input none
Minutes from 01/15/2013 meeting approved as presented.
Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg.:
Feb Meeting The Three Lakes Association presented a plan & the Township will have them apply herbicides in the Safe Harbor early next summer. They will be checking success of the process in the fall.
** Harvey contacted several people to research the meaning of ACD & HE. The guess is that ACD stood for Antrim Conservation District as they once had a map of the Township. HE is believed to stand for Helena Township.
** Steve attended the 2013 Recreation Grants Workshop Feb. 7th in Grayling and shared information he obtained there.
** See Steves information concerning the five yr. plan for information on possible future sites for protect or purchase. Per the guidelines these need to be in the Plan.
** Discussed the need for updates on the Pk & Rec. website pages We moved this to future agenda items.
** The priority scale on the Goals & Objectives grid was discussed. We will use a scale
(1-3) that indicates urgency of need with 1 being most urgent.
** A separate paragraph is needed on each park to go with the Goals and Objectives
grid. This will be similar to the ones done for the recreation grid and will give an overview of information in the grid and offer justification for needs identified using demographic info, survey results and committee findings.
** It was agreed that we should include an appendix section in our 5-yearo-plan (see bottom of page 10 in guidelines)
** It was suggested that we redo the budget section of the plan to extract and list only information relevant to Pk. & Rec ( p-7 of guidelines).
FIVE YEAR PLAN Any item underlined denotes action needed.
Report on assignments/research/activities since last meeting (Carolyn, Dave, Harvey, Jan, Ruth, Steve).
- Continue typing new 5-year-plan as items come to her from P&R Committee members.
- To continue to review the P&R public survey and results for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan The Helena Township Community Center.
To write a paragraph to go with the Goals & Objectives grid for The Community Center.
- Compile the information needed for the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities for Alden Safe Harbor and Archie Valleau Landing & Email to Ruth.
- will Ask that a map without Valley Street, reflecting the new P & R numbering / lettering system, be done before the next meeting. It will identify the Parks and Road endings lake access sites.
- Review the P & R public survey results and work with Harvey for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Ball Park, Alden Safe Harbor, and Archie Valleau Landing.
- Redo the narrative description concerning the Ball Park. This will supplement the inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas & Recreational Facilities Grid.
Work with Harvey to complete a narrative to go with Goals and Objective grids.
- Review the P & R public survey results and work with Dave for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Ball Park, Alden Safe Harbor, and Archie Valleau Landing
FIVE YEAR PLAN CONTINUED Any item underlined denotes action needed.
Harvey – continued
- Redo the narrative description concerning the Archie Valleau Landing and the Alden Safe Harbor. This will supplement the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas & Recreational Facilities Grid.
Work with Dave to complete a narrative to go with Goals and Objective grids.
1. Jan will put her ideas on Depot park into the grid format. Jan will continue to review the P&R public survey results for ideas to be included in the goals & objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Depot.
2. Jan will complete a narrative paragraph to go with the Goals and Ob. Grid.
Mike: Volunteered to obtain some abstracts we might find useful.
1.The approved January minutes is to be sent to Joyce Looman. The February minutes need to be prepared for review by the Committee. These will be sent to Rick Teague.
2. Review the P&R public survey and results and work with Steve for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for Tennis Court Park and Coy Mt. Reserve.
3. Work with Steve on a narrative to go with the Goals and Objectives girds for Coy Mountain and The Tennis Court Parks.
1. Review the P&R public survey and results and work with Ruth for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for Tennis Court Park and Coy Mt. Reserve.
2 Work with Ruth on a narrative to go with the Goals and Objectives girds for Coy Mountain and The Tennis Court Parks.
- Prepare a Resource Inventory for the P & R 5-year plan that will list possible land acquisition goals for the future. Has talked with Bob Logee and obtained several ideas for land acquisition. Mike Crawford also mentioned Alden State Bank lands that should be considered.
- Update the grid format of the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities when needed information is received
- Work with Rick Teague on completing form for previous grant-assisted parks.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
These items will continue to be carried forward until they are discussed by the Committee
1. Deed restrictions for Helena Twp. Parks are to be reviewed. (Steve)
2. Riparian rights / possible review by township attorney (Dave)
3. Valley St Rd ending not listed on resolution accepting jurisdiction from Antrim Co. Rd Comm. by Helena Township. Memo to Board regarding this? (Steve)
4. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion).
5. Research rules and laws governing road ending lake access sites (Steve, Ruth)
6. Discuss possible memo to the Twn about developing a plan concerning reservation of usage for all Twn Parks
7. Discuss possible memo to the Township concerning placing signs at all Parks to clarify Township ownership and whom to contact if there are questions concerning or problems with the Park
8. Further discuss Alden Safe Harbor and its park status / ownership memo to Board?
9. Look at the possibility of updating & correcting information on the Pk. & Rec. web pages.
10. The Helena Township Master plan (Jan. 2010) mentions that a member of the planning commission will appoint one of its members to the Pk. & Rec. Committee
11. Mike mentioned the AAU Sports / Recreation Complex Morey Complex- and suggested that they may be looking to locate a similar complex in the North.
- Look into the possibility of Flo McCormick (MI Assoc. of Counties) helping with writing any Pks. And Rec. grants. (Mike Crawford)
- Consider Keith Charters as a resource for Pk. & Rec. projects.
The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 19th , at 3 PM
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 02-27-13