Parks and Recreation Minutes – January 19, 2016


Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 01/19/2016 –                                  Approved 02-16-2016

In attendance: Steve Dell, Brad Gerlach, Jan Loveland, Ken Masck, & Dave Peterson
Absent: Mike Crawford, Jim Gurr, & Ruth Smith
1.   Community Input:  None


  1. Minutes from 11/24/2015 meeting:  reviewed and approved as presented. They will be published online.
  2. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. – none


  1. Recreational Passport Grant from DNR and bid packages: Bid packages were opened, reviewed and discussed. Steve is to follow-up with the engineer concerning a concern over the # of feet of lines to be repaired. Steve did this and a special P&R meeting was held Feb. 1st. As the engineer did not see any problem with the bidding process the committee voted to send a recommendation to the HT Board to accept the two lowest bids.

5.Juniper Garden Club request.  On hold until pictures are provided.


  1. DNR Grant Workshop to be held Feb. 17th at the GTR. All are eligible to attend.


  1. Steve reported that the Alden Racquet Sports Committee (ARSC) has been formed as a subcommittee of The Alden Volunteers maintenance Committee. Donations are being solicited.


  1. A pickleball net, paddles, and balls have been donated to Helena Township and are available for use by the public at the Community Center.


  1. Forestry at Coy Mountain was discussed at length. The Committee concluded an overall property management plan (including forestry and trail components) was needed. Further discussion on this is scheduled for the February meeting.

  2. Bathroom doors in community center and ADA issues – forward to the February agenda.


  1. Revision of our five-year-plan. Forward to the February agenda.

Ken and Brad presented information about erosion issues at the Ballfield Park. Part of the former RR Grade has been undercut and may slide into Torch Lake. They will work with Heidi Shaffer to develop a restoration plan draft for committee discussion.



    1. Report on our 5-year-plan progress. This is something that we need to talk over as a committee. It will be on the February agenda. The discussion will include how we are going to prioritize needed improvements in the parks based on the current 5-year plan. We also need to consider what might need to be included in the next 5-year plan.  (April)


  • Park & Rec. Budget. If this is removed from the Master plan we will not need to present a formal budget. (March)FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:


    2. Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 01/19/2016  continued –                   Approved 02-16-2016


  • Discuss the need for rules and a process including a Memorandum of Understanding, for the Ball Park and other parks similar to the one used for Depot Park.  The committee will consider working on a process and guidelines for requests for events to take place in our parks. (?).
  • Handicap parking in HT (discussion) to be discussed when each Park is evaluated.
  • Look into new sign for Coy Mountain. (April)
  • Discuss and decide what twp. Roads would be best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county for continuity. (See master plan) (May).
  • Discuss 80 acres that township owns near McPherson Rd. to decide what recreational uses it might provide (April)
  • Discuss Requests for Memorials in the Parks. (February 2016)
  • Updating of P & R website (Sept)
  •  Bathroom doors in community center and ADA issues. (Feb.)INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNMENTS TO BE COMPLETED Brad:Dave:Ruth: Send approved November meeting minutes to Joyce Looman to be published online. Work with Ruth and Joyce Looman to update the Pk & Rec online information 


  1. Jan, Jim, Ken, & Mike:
            No current assignments
  2. Prepare agenda for February meeting.
  3. Steve:
    Continue as point man for working with the project engineer and the DNR to resurface tennis courts and do walkway in Tennis Court Park.
  4. Work with Steve and Joyce Looman to update the Pk & Rec online information
  5. Complete January meeting minutes.
  6. Continue work on getting quotes on prices for signage at road endings and parks. When ready send quotes to Ruth to be presented to the HT Board for approval of funding.
  7. Contact Heidi Schaffer.  Find out how Helena Township can be included in grant funds received to help combat invasive species.
  8. Report on assignments/research/activities since last meeting (Brad, Dave, Jan, Jim, Ken, Mike, Ruth, Steve).

The next monthly meeting is scheduled for:
Tuesday, February 16th, 2016 – 3pm at Helena Township Offices
respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith from meeting notes taken by Brad Gerlock – thanks Brad.