Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 8/1/2018
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
1. Community input
2. Minutes from 7/11/2018 meeting (Ruth).
3. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
4. Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. (Steve)
5. HT Parks Community Survey and revision of our 5-year plan. (Steve/Ruth/Jan/Jim/Bonnie/Laura)
Assignments for chapter revisions:
Community Description: Jim Completed and approved
Administrative Structure: Bonnie Completed and approved
Inventory of parks…etc: Ruth/Jan/Laura Completed and approved
Previous Grant Assisted Parks: Steve Meeting with Rick to complete
Resource Inventory: Steve Completed and approved
Description of Planning…etc: Bonnie Completed and approved
Goals, Objectives…etc: Ruth/Steve Completed and approved
Plan Certification Checklist: Steve Completed and approved
Create database for respondents
who requested contact: Jan/Ruth Completed and approved
(Completed) July 1 – July 31: Monkey Survey to get public input. Also newspapers, flyers, postcards.
(Completed) August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension will help.
Meet with other groups (DABA, AV, etc.) to discuss results and get input.
(Completed) Sept – April: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan”
(Completed) April: Review Plan and vote on approval
(Completed) April–June: Notify public of 30+ days for public to review plan and submit comments.
Also notify public that a public hearing will be held on June 6 at regular
HT Parks and Recreation meeting to get final input on plan.
(Completed) June: Consider approval of plan at regular P&R meeting and at same meeting get public
input on the plan. If revisions are needed, schedule a special meeting to approve
the plan once it is completed.
June-July: Present completed plan to HT Board for review and approval.
(Completed) July: Submit approved plan to DNR.
6. Pickleball tournament to benefit your ARSC and Open House for Tennis Courts per DNR grant obligations.(Ruth/Steve/Jan)
7. FOCUS Fund Endowment Grant Application(Ruth, Laura)
8. Steve and Ruth talk with Heidi Schaffer about erosion at ball park.
9. No smoking policy for our parks. (Ruth)
10. Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan) (Steve)
11. Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each
item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve). (AUGUST)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
2. Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
A. Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
B. If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
C. After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
3. Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and Conservancy.
Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
4. Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
5. Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
6. Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (SEPT)
7. Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Review with 2nd bid. (Mike)(SEPT)
8. Memorial donations to Helena Township(NOVEMBER)
9. Budget: For March/April next year – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their
July 2019 – June 2020 budget.(MARCH)
10. Tri-fold brochure and some “high–tech” chips telling about our parks and community events.(SEPT)