Parks & Rec Minutes August 1, 2018

      Comments Off on Parks & Rec Minutes August 1, 2018

Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 08/01/2018 pg. 1

In attendance: Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Bonnie Robbins, Ruth Smith, & Laura Westerman.

Absent: Steve Dell & Jeanne Peeples.

1. Community input none

2. Minutes from 7/11/2018 meeting (Ruth). Approved as presented & will be published on the HT website.

3. Information from 7/12/2018 monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth

The board OKed a tip of The Mitt sign at Safe Harbor concerning how to combat invasive species. The (temporary) defibrillator has been placed in its box outside the HT meeting room. The board was reminded of the ribbon cutting ceremony scheduled for Aug. 25th at the tennis courts. I also informed the board that the GT Regional Community Foundation is requesting help in publicizing the good their grant to rework the trail at Coy Mt. will be doing. The fact that we had discussed a non-smoking policy for our parks was presented with the information that we do not plan to do anything further on this without direction from the board.


4. Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. Bonnie sent a very pleasant and informative responded to a concern which came in to the township about the Coy Mt. trail being unavailable because of the rework.

5. HT Parks Community Survey and revision of our 5-year plan. (Steve/Ruth/Jan/Jim/Bonnie/Laura)

This item can be removed from the agenda as the Five Yr. Plan was approved by the Board and was sent to the DNR for approval.

Assignments for chapter revisions:

Community Description: Jim Completed and approved

Administrative Structure: Bonnie Completed and approved

Inventory of parks…etc.: Ruth/Jan/Laura Completed and approved

Previous Grant Assisted Parks: Steve Meeting with Rick to complete

Resource Inventory: Steve Completed and approved

Description of Planning…etc.: Bonnie Completed and approved

Goals, Objectives…etc.: Ruth/Steve Completed and approved

Plan Certification Checklist: Steve Will be presented at the 7-12 HT Board Meeting.

Create database for respondents who requested contact: Jan/Ruth Completed and approved

Email / snail mail was sent to those requesting future contact of some type. No response to that contact.

Time Frames:

(Completed) July 1 – July 31: Monkey Survey to get public input. Also, newspapers, flyers, postcards.

(Completed) August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension will help.

Meet with other groups (DABA, AV, etc.) to discuss results and get input.

(Completed) Sept – April: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan”

(Completed) April: Review Plan and vote on approval

(Completed) April–June: Notify public of 30+ days for public to review plan and submit comments.

Also notify public that a public hearing will be held on June 6 at regular HT Parks and Recreation meeting to get final input on plan.

(Completed) June: Consider approval of plan at regular P&R meeting and at same meeting get public

input on the plan. If revisions are needed, schedule a special meeting to approve the plan once it is completed.

June-July: Present completed plan to HT Board for review and approval. To be done 7/12/2018.

July: Submit approved plan to DNR.

Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 08/01/2018 continued DRAFT pg. 2

6. Open House for Tennis Courts per DNR grant obligations. Jan is advertising and preparing for the ribbon cutting ceremony which will take place on Sat., Aug. 25th, at 10:30AM.

7. FOCUS Fund Endowment Grant Application (Ruth & Laura) The Grand Traverse Regional Community

Foundation is requesting pictures and a description of how their grant monies will impact the Coy Mt. Trail

project and our community. Laura Westerman is trying to get together with Jack Findlay and Steve Dell to have a picture taken at Coy Mountain.

8. Steve & Ruth to talk with Heidi Schaffer about erosion at the Ball Park. – Moved to the Sept. agenda.

9. No smoking policy. This was taken before the HT Board – see agenda item #3

10. Decide what Twp. Roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master

plan) Steve has done some research on what roads are most used and will continue to look into

this. This item will be moved to Old business for the September meeting.


11. Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the

useful life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve)

This item is to be moved to new business on the September agenda.

The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, September 5th,2018 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg.

Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 09/01/2018