Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 8/05/2020
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- 7:00 pm: Call the meeting to order.
- Minutes from 7/01/2020 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Park: Blaze Budd from EGLE says no problem moving soil. Barry agreed to pursue getting estimates of costs for shoreline stabilization. Heidi provided a list of local service providers. The Committee feels it is time to start working on a site plan for the Ball Park. (Barry, Ruth, Laura)
- 5. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP):
Software is here. Dell will do initial loading of data for all parks and then transfer to Bonnie at the Township when that phase is complete. Please bring your CIP data sheets to the August meeting if your park assessment is complete. No rush if not completed yet. Bring to next meeting or email to Dell.
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Snyder/Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by P&R or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may M
– For each item in the asset, assign a number to identify that item and mark it with a permanent marker on a part of the item that is protected from the weather. Use this identifying number when describing the item in your assessment sheet.(NEW)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
- Depot Park (Jan)(AUGUST)
- Recognition of volunteers who worked on Coy Mtn. trail redo. An article in one or more of the papers was the
suggestion the committee liked best(Jan)(AUGUST)
- Celebration of the completion of the Coy Mountain Preserve trail redo (Jan) (AUGUST)
- Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(AUGUST)
- Antrim County is updating its Community Park and Recreation Plan. The goal of the plan is to inventory existing facilities
and resources, identify community recreation and open space needs, and set a 5-year plan of action for these spaces.
You can take the survey at www.antrimcounty.org.
- Deana Jerdee from Paddle Antrim regarding signs for the water trail in Helena Township.
- ARSC has notified Dell and Smith of P&R Committee that they intend to lobby township board to reopen the Community Center for pickleball this Fall.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Annual assessment of Coy Mountain Trails and trees that need cutting and report to Twp. Board (Steve, Ruth)(NOV)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation website (Ruth, Steve) (SEPT of each year)
- Do budget for P&R to take to the township.(MARCH)
- Parking issues at safe harbor. The plan for striping parking areas at Safe Harbor was presented to the HT Board in June. This item will be moved to a future agenda item in October to remind us to check with Burt Thompson on this project if it has not been completed by then. P&R Committee needs to discuss a possible accessible “drop off” parking space near the accessible dock.(Barry, Ruth)(OCTOBER)