Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 11/07/2018
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 10/03/2018 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Update on installing ADA compliant parking spot at veteran’s memorial, info from Paul Delange (Steve)
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. (Steve)
- 6. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval. (Steve)
- Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and
Conservancy. Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
Status of project (Steve)
- Review of reservation process for time in the community center (Steve).
- Steve and Ruth talk with Heidi Schaffer about erosion at ball park. (Steve) (NOV)
- Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Review with 2nd bid. (Mike)(JAN)
- Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(NOV)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
- Memorial donations to Helena Township and stones at TC Park (JAN)
- Budget: For March/April next year – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their
July 2019 – June 2020 budget.(MARCH)
- Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan) (Steve)(MARCH)
- Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (FEB)
- Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each
item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve).
Student at Portland State U. has offered to create software to accomplish this for the township. He would be paid only if
the township uses the software. Beginning in January, we will talk with Dave, Rick, Cathy, and Mike Crawford to see what they want in the software,and about payment if we go thru this process and the twp. uses the software. Also, a committee of Bonnie, Jim, Ruth, Steve, and Laura will meet in January to decide on what to include in the capitol improvement plan.(JAN)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)