Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 10/07/2020
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- 7:00 pm: Call the meeting to order.
- Minutes from 9/02/2020 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Public Comment
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Park: Barry continues to get estimates for shoreline stabilization. Review Site Plan for the Ball Park. (Barry, Ruth, Laura)
- 6. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): No changes since Sept meeting.
The township has purchased aluminum tags numbered 1 – 100 for labeling of township property in our parks. We will use these to label the items in each park (tables, benches, etc.) so that the description in our CIP for an item in a specific park (i.e. Table # 14) can be tied to that item. Steve will meet with the responsible committee member for each park at their park to screw the tags to the items in their park. We will start with Tennis Court Park.
Cost of replacement picnic tables and benches…no report yet. Possible deal thru Laury Stone’s husband(Dell)
Software is here. Dell will do initial loading of data for all parks and then transfer to Bonnie at the Township when that phase is complete. Please bring your CIP data sheets to the monthly meeting if your park assessment is complete. No rush if not completed yet. Bring to next meeting or email to Dell.
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Snyder/Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by P&R or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may M
– For each item in the asset, assign a number to identify that item and mark it with a permanent marker on a part of the item that is protected from the weather. Use this identifying number when describing the item in your assessment sheet.(NEW)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
- Tri-fold brochure telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan) (OCT)
- ARSC sent a proposal to the township board to do the pickleball reservations and reopen the community center for
Pickleball. The board may take action on this at the October 8 meeting.
- ARSC submitted a grant to Rotary in TC for toddler equipment in Tennis Court Park (Steve, Jan, Ruth)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation website (Ruth, Steve) (SEPT of each year)
- Jim Gurr to give report on Sustainable Built Environment Initiative Seeking Projects.
- Helena Township Parks Inventory request from Margie Boyd. (Document sent to all committee members)
- Concrete work at the Depot Park and Spring meeting pulling people together (Jan)
- Parking issues at safe harbor. The plan for striping parking areas at Safe Harbor was presented to the HT Board in June. This item will be moved to a future agenda item in October to remind us to check with Burt Thompson on this project if it has not been completed by then. P&R Committee needs to discuss a possible accessible “drop off” parking space near the accessible dock.(Barry, Ruth)(OCTOBER)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Annual assessment of Coy Mountain Trails and trees that need cutting and report to Twp. Board (Steve, Ruth)(NOV)
- Do budget for P&R to take to the township.(MARCH)
- Recognition of volunteers who worked on Coy Mtn. trail redo. An article in one or more of the papers was the
suggestion the committee liked best(Jan)(APRIL 2021)
- Celebration of the completion of the Coy Mountain Preserve trail redo (Jan) (APRIL 2021)