Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 8/3/22
In attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Ruth Smith, Brian Apley & Barry Snyder
Absent: Jan Loveland, Bonnie Robbins
Non-members in attendance: Jeanne Peeples, Butch Peeples, Amy Paul
- Meeting called to order at 7:01 pm
- The meeting minutes from 07/06/22approved & will be published on the HT website.
- Information from the June HT Board Meetings: Butch shared that there will perhaps be up to
$20K set aside in the township budget for pavilions at the ballpark and tennis court. He
suggested that the P/R committee begin to develop a plan for these pavilions and be ready to
submit by September.
- Public Comment – Amy Paul requested to join to the P/R committee with Ruth retiring – this
was unanimously agreed opon by the committee, and will be brought forward to the township
board meeting in August.
Amy Paul – question on timeline of bringing proposal for pavilions forward to board to butchbutch answered, no real timeline, basic questions are size, cost, construction timing.
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Diamond Park. barry – Haven’t had a chance to update prints and
plans – Kyle Williams (the new DNR officer replacing Heidi). should be reached out to for rolling
over the permits
6.Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). -Ruth/Steve have entered Tennis Court Park. The asset tags should be recorded in the sheet with condition report. Brian will hand out new assignments for each park to P/R members.
- Coy Mountain celebration – the day went off flawlessly, Ruth estimates over 60 attendees. Per Ruth, the tone of the day was great, recognition of all past and present that worked on Coy Mtn.
- Site Plan – Barry is working on site plan for updates
- Repainting/surface repair at tennis ct park
Per Steve- surface is rough – requesting to get estimates on resurfacing – will also determine
options for drainage
- Recognition of Ruth Smith – Ruth has been on P/R since 2011. A few of her many highlightsThanks Ruth!!
-Worked on the 1st 5 year P/R plan
-DNR trust fund grant to refurb alden tennis courts
-Brought Pickleball into the community center
-funded the PB nets and had permanent lines put in
-Completion of 2nd 5 year plan
-Redo of Coy Mtn trails – grand traverse regional land con- purchase several more acres
Respectfully submitted by Brian Apley on September 6, 2022