Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 7/11/2016
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Monday of the month.
- Community Input
- Minutes from 6/06/2016 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Ruth/Dave).
- Recreational Passport Grant from DNR: New posts, benefactor, etc. (Steve)
- Juniper Garden Club request. Review photo and send final recommendation to board.(Ruth/Steve)
- Kayak launch and Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Application for kayak launch grant. (Ken, Brad)
- Report from Mike on Handrail safety issue at ball park (Mike).
8.a Requests for memorial issues (Steve).
8.b Move rocks to the safe harbor to improve it (Ruth, Mike)
- Change the area around the perimeter of the tennis court surface to improve drainage.
- Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth)
- Revision of our five-year-plan. Committee decided to review each park and revise that park’s plan together at our monthly committee meeting. First park to be reviewed changed at Jan/2016 meeting from Depot Park to Ball Park. (Please bring your copy of the 5-year-plan).
- Report on our 5-year-plan progress for each park as follows: Ken – Coy Mountain, Jan – Depot Park, Ruth & Steve – Tennis Court Park, Dave – Ball Park, Unassigned – Community Center, Unassigned – Archie Valleau Landing, Unassigned – Alden Safe Harbor. Each person responsible for her/his park will decide on action steps to move toward the goals and objectives as stated in the 5-year-plan for each park. She/he will give a progress report at each meeting and bring any completed steps to the entire committee for approval. Steve will email a “Working Document” form to each member for their specific park.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Discuss the need for a MOU rules and format for the Ball Park similar to the one used for Depot Park (Dave). (OCT)
- Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (SEPT OF EACH YEAR) (Steve/Ruth).
- New sign for Coy Mountain (Ken, Brad). (SEPT)
- Discuss 80 acres that township owns on McPherson Rd. to decide what recreational uses it might provide. (OCT)
- Coy Mtn. forest management: HT Board sent this issue back to P&R and asked us to do the following: B. Invite Mike Meriwether to a parks and rec mtg. D. After our Forest Management and Trail Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, formulate recommendations to be sent to HT Board. (NOV)
- C. P&R to develop a general Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. (Could have ecologist evaluate Coy Mtn.)
- A. Send any questions we have about forest management at Coy Mtn. to Joyce for forwarding to Mike Meriwether.
- Discuss and decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at entire county for continuity. (See Master Plan). (SEPT)
- Capitol Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the usefull life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. (NOVEMBER)