Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 2/07/2018 approved 3/07/2018
1. Community input – none
2. Minutes from 1/03/2018 – approved as presented & will be published on the HT website.
3. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth) Nothing of particular interest to P&R.
OLD BUSINESS: 4. Rework Coy Mtn. trails to be more user friendly. Ken Masck volunteers to work with GTRLC. The possibility of working with the Grand Traverse Conservancy to rework the trail at Coy Mt to make it more user and environmentally friendly was discussed. The committee agrees this would be a good project. Steve is going to work with Ken to put together a project proposal and obtain estimates on the cost. Possible funding sources will be researched.
5. The final funding has been received from the DNR for the tennis court resurfacing.
6. Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Review with 2nd bid. (Mike) – This item is being moved to the future agenda list with a June date for review.
7. HT Parks Community Survey and revision of our 5-year plan. (Steve/Ruth/Jan/Jim/Bonnie)
Assignments for chapter revisions:
Community Description: Done
Administrative Structure: Done
Inventory of parks…etc: Done – reviewed and accepted
Previous Grant Assisted Parks: This is no longer required. However the forms are needed and Steve will work on these. Some of the requirements have been moved to the inventory of parks section and were included in that document.
Natural Resource Inventory: Steve
Description of Planning…etc: Done
Goals, Objectives…etc: Done Appendix: This is no longer required.
Plan Certification Checklist: Steve
Create database for respondents
Who requested contact: Done – an email (and some letters) to be sent after the plan is completed.
(Completed) July 1 – July 31: Monkey Survey to get public input. Also newspapers, flyers, postcards.
(Completed) August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension will help.
Meet with other groups (DABA, AV, etc.) to discuss results and get input.
Sept – March: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan” Send the completed plan to the HT Board members for review/input
May: Consider approval of plan at regular P&R meeting and at same meeting get public
input on the plan. If revisions are needed, schedule a special meeting to approve
the plan once it is completed.
May: Present completed plan to HT Board for review and approval.
May: Submit approved plan to DNR prior to this date.
8. Volunteer hold-harmless form. New info from Twp. Insurance Company (Ruth, Steve) – moved Future Agenda (April)
9. Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve).Moved to future agenda (Aug.)
10. Memorial donations to Helena Township. Moved to future agenda (June).
The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, March7th, 2018 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg. Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 02/ 21 /2018