Minutes Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting – Alden Community Center
Meeting date: April 16, 2013 Approved 5-21-2013
In attendance: Steve Dell, Jan Loveland Carolyn Nowfel, Dave Peterson & Ruth Smith.
Absent: Mike Crawford, & Casey McDowell. Harvey Bartel has resigned from the Pks. & Rec. Committee.
Community Input none
Minutes from 03/19/2013 -approved as presented & will be published on the website.
Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg.:
April Meeting There was a lot of discussion on roads in Helena Twn.. Mike Crawford thanked the Pks. & Rec. Committee for doing such a good job with the Five Year Plan.
**See Five Year plan for status on assigned work.
**The Garlic Mustard pull is set for May 8th at 10 AM.
**The current hope is that the plan will be completed by the June Meeting. A 30 day notice would go out giving an opportunity for people to input via regular mail, email and at the July Pks & Rec. meeting. We would then present the completed plan to the Township Board at their August meeting.
**The Committee discussed trying to record the wishes of property use for property donated to the Township. The decision was that only deed restrictions would be considered concerning future use of donated land.
** Jans memo concerning needed work at Depot Park was reviewed. A section concerning signs will be added and she will complete it and send to the Township Board.
** An extra work session was scheduled for May 7th 3-5PM. We will work on the Plan and on the Ad to go into the newspapers.
** The plan to allow for public review and input on the Five Year Plan was discussed. The Committee decision was that completion of the plan, where to find copes, and how to input would be published in the Antrim Review and the Elk Rapids News. Individual post cards will not be sent to land owners.
**Dave will ask Joyce Looman to update the email address published online so that we know we will receive any emails sent to Parks and Rec. They will go to the one Township email address and PK. & Rec will be informed of the email received. We will add a future agenda item for looking at updating Pk. & Rec. content on the Helena Township Website.
** Steve presented the resource inventory for the Five Year Plan and it was approved.
** We reviewed a little of the Five Year Plan.
FIVE YEAR PLAN Any item underlined denotes action needed.
Report on assignments/research/activities since last meeting (Carolyn, Dave, Jan, Ruth, Steve).
1. Continue typing new 5-year-plan as items come to her from P&R Committee members
- Will work with Ruth and Steve to complete the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities for Alden Safe Harbor and Archie Valleau Landing
Will work with Ruth and Steve to complete the narrative description concerning Alden Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing . This supplements the Recreational grid – # 1 above.
Has had the map updated to reflect the new P & R numbering / lettering system, (without Valley Rd. lake access).
Will send her revised memo to the Township to request needed work at Depot Park be completed.
Has completed the narrative paragraph that goes with the Depot Park Goals grid.
Mike: Volunteered to obtain some abstracts we might find useful.
1.The approved March minutes are to sent to Joyce Looman to be published online. March minutes will also be sent to Rick Teague. The April minutes need to be prepared for review by the Committee.
2. Will work with Dave and Steve to complete the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities for Alden Safe Harbor and Archie Valleau Landing
- Will work with Dave and Steve to complete the narrative description concerning Alden Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing . This supplements the Recreational grid – # 2above.
- Put goals and objectives information into grid format and add justification paragraph for each park when received from other work groups.
FIVE YEAR PLAN CONTINUED Any item underlined denotes action needed
2. Will work with Dave and Ruth to complete the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities for Alden Safe Harbor and Archie Valleau Landing
- Will work with Dave and Ruth to complete the narrative description concerning Alden Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing . This supplements the Recreational grid – # 2 above.
- Update the Recreational grid format of the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and
Recreational Facilities when needed information is received from other committee members.
*Wked. with Rick Teague & completed forms for previous grant-assisted parks sect. of 5-yr. plan.
* Prepared a Resource Inventory for the P & R 5-year plan that lists possible future land
* completed the Safe Harbor and Archie Valleau Landing paragraph write-ups for Goals Grid.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
These items will continue to be carried forward until they are discussed by the Committee
1. Deed restrictions for Helena Twp. Parks are to be reviewed. (Steve)
2. Riparian rights / possible review by township attorney (Dave)
3. Valley St Rd ending not listed on resolution accepting jurisdiction from Antrim Co. Rd Comm. by Helena Township. Memo to Board regarding this? (Steve)
4. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion).
5. Research rules and laws governing road ending lake access sites (Steve, Ruth)
6. Discuss possible memo to the Twn about developing a plan concerning reservation of usage for all Twn Parks
7. Discuss possible memo to the Township concerning placing signs at all Parks to clarify Township ownership and whom to contact if there are questions concerning or problems with the Park
8. Further discuss Alden Safe Harbor and its park status / ownership memo to Board?
9. Look at the possibility of updating & correcting information on the Pk. & Rec. web pages.
10. The Helena Township Master plan (Jan. 2010) mentions that a member of the planning commission will appoint one of its members to the Pk. & Rec. Committee. Also check responsibilities of the Parks & Rec. Committee outlined in the current HT Master Plan. New plan due in 2015.
11. Mike mentioned the AAU Sports / Recreation Complex Morey Complex- and suggested that they may be looking to locate a similar complex in the North.
Look into the possibility of Flo McCormick (MI Assoc. of Counties) helping with writing any Pks. And Rec. grants. (Mike Crawford)
13. Consider Keith Charters as a resource for Pk. & Rec. projects.
14. Work to update the Parks and Recreation pages of the Helena Township web site.
Extra Five Yr. Plan working meeting is scheduled for Tues., May 7st, at 3 PM
The next regular monthly meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 21st, at 3 PM Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 04-21-13