Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 08/07/2019 – Approved 9/4/2019 In attendance: Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Ruth Smith, Barry Snyder, & Laura Westerman Absent: Steve Dell & Bonnie Robbins
- Community input: Betty Wills and Linda Oxford attended the meeting. They are concerned that the parking situations at Archie Valleau Landing and the Safe Harbor are dangerous to the safety of pedestrians. The problem was discussed and the committee will be looking into the situation and discussing possible ways to improve parking in this area.
- Minutes from the 07/03/2019 meeting were approved as presented & will be published on the HT website
- Information from the June Helena Twp. Mtg. There was nothing directly concerning P&R. OLD BUSINESS
- I talked with Heidi Shaffer soil erosion officer for the Antrim Conservation District. They have completed a grant request concerning erosion control. If they do receive this grant, we will further discuss soil erosion control at the Ball Park. The board has approved having Heidi apply for an erosion control permit. She now needs some time to complete the paperwork for an erosion control permit at the Ball Park. She plans to work directly with supervisor, Rick Teague, on completion. Deed restrictions will need to be addressed if the permit is approved.
- Update on Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy (GTRLC)/ Helena Twp. Coy Mtn. Trail project. We are still waiting for the kiosk design / signage being done through GTRLC. This will remain as an agenda item for September.
- Possible funding for land acquisition at Coy Mt. was discussed. We need to have a plan for funding this project in place before we can complete an Application for Project review. Potential funding sources are being pursued but nothing has been developed from initial contacts. This will remain as an agenda item for September.
- 5-Yr. Plan. Steve has not heard back from Tamara Jorkasky, our advisor at DNR, concerning the status of our Five Yr. Plan. We will follow-up on a request that the HT supervisor contact the DNR requesting the status of the HT 5 Yr. plan submitted in July of 2018.
- Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Steve continues working toward providing a format to use when evaluating each site for the CIP. This will remain as an agenda item for September.
- Tri-fold brochures and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. This will remain as an agenda item for September.
- The discussion on forest management at Coy Mt. will be moved to the September agenda.
- After the community input the committee decided to add discussion of parking at all our Parks including Safe Harbor / Archie Valleau Landing to the September agenda.
- A way to recognize work done for the Township by P&R volunteers was discussed. The idea of a recognition picnic came up. This will remain as a September agenda item.
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 08/24/2019
- The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, September 4th, 2019 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg.