Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 02/06/2019
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 01/02/2019 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project (Jim, Ruth).
- 5. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval. (Steve)
- Steve and Ruth talk with Heidi Schaffer about erosion at ball park. Steve contact David Spieser to look at erosion and give estimate to stabilize. (Steve)
- DNR Grant training in Grayling Tuesday Jan. 15, 1:00-4:00. (Ruth)
- Membership of Peeples on Parks and Recreation Committee.
- Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (FEB)
- Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(FEB)
- 11. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
– Divide up parks, road endings and water trails between P&R members.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– Discuss with township officials and Mike Crawford to get their input on project.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
- Budget: For March/April next year – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their July 2019 – June 2020 budget.(MARCH)
- Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan) (Steve)(MARCH)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
- Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and Conservancy.
- Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
Status of project (Steve)
- Memorial donations to Helena Township and stones at TC Park (MAR)