Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 3/01/2017
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
1. Community Input
2. Minutes from 2/06/2017 meeting (Ruth).
3. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Ruth).
4. Recreational Passport Grant from DNR: Amendment.(Steve)
5. Requests for memorial issues (Ruth). Also review Twp opinion on tax deductibility of donations (Jim, Ruth).
6. Volunteer hold-harmless form. (Ruth)
7. GTR Land Conservancy at Coy Mtn. Read response from Todd(Steve)
8. Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Township Board to come up with a forest management plan for Coy Mountain (See the March meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
A. Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
B. If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
C. After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
9. Road ending encroachment recommendation to board (Ruth).
10. Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Mike to get estimates. (MARCH)
11. AmeriCorps intern to help with a volunteer event. Anything besides garlic mustard pull?
12. Possible new committee member and new Township Board representative (Ruth).
13. Review and decide on Helena Township Parks and Recreation Community Survey questions.
14. Request for township to close 2 paper roads. Email from Rick.
15. Capitol Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve).
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
2. Discuss and decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at entire county for continuity. (See Master Plan). (APRIL)
3. Steve to get Jim Moore from Disability Network to walk Ball Park for accessibility assessment. (Steve)(APRIL)
4. Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (APRIL)
5. Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
6. New sign for Coy Mountain (Ken, Brad). (JUNE)
7. Proposal from Jack Findlay of Alden Volunteers for P&R Committee to prioritize top 3 projects we would like to get done and he will use AV resources to help obtain funding (Ruth). (MONTHLY)
8. Revision of our five-year-plan. Committee decided to review each park and revise that park’s plan together at our monthly committee meeting. Review accommodation for handicap parking when reviewing each park.
Tentative Time Frames:
June 1 – June 30: Monkey Survey to get public input. Also newspapers, flyers, postcards.
August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension will help.
Meet with other groups (DABA, AV, etc.) to discuss results and get input.
Sept – October: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan”
November: Consider approval of plan at regular P&R meeting and at same meeting get public
input on the plan.
March 1: Submit plan to DNR prior to this date. (MONTHLY UNTIL COMPLETE)