Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 10/03/2016
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Monday of the month.
- Community Input
- Minutes from 9/12/2016 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Ruth/Dave).
- Recreational Passport Grant from DNR: (Steve/Ruth)
- Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. ( Brad)
- Requests for memorial issues (Jan, Dave).
- Dave to bring info on availability and costs of tables and benches and proposed memorial policy.
- Move rocks to the safe harbor to improve it. Get estimate on cost to complete (Ruth, Mike, Brad)
- Brad will talk to DNR staff about evaluating the erosion situation.
- Change the area around the perimeter of the tennis court surface to improve drainage (Ruth).
- Volunteer hold-harmless form. (Ruth)
- Revision of our five-year-plan. Committee decided to review each park and revise that park’s plan together at our monthly committee meeting. Review accommodation for handicap parking when reviewing each park. Continue discussion about Ball Park at October Meeting.
- MTG with GTR Land Conservancy at Coy Mtn.(Brad)
- Discuss 80 acres that township owns on McPherson Rd. to decide what recreational uses it might provide. (OCT)
- Ken Masck letter of resignation.
- Hold harmless form (Ruth). (OCT)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: A. Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.C. After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action. (NOV)
- B. If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- We were asked by the Helena Township Board to come up with a forest management plan for Coy Mountain (See the March meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Capitol Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the usefull life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. (NOVEMBER)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (SEPT OF EACH YEAR) (Steve/Ruth).Do progress report.(JAN)
- New sign for Coy Mountain (Ken, Brad). (FEB)
- Discuss and decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at entire county for continuity. (See Master Plan). (APRIL)
- Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (JAN)