Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 06/05/2019
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
New member Barry Snyder appointed to HT Parks and Recreation Committee. Welcome Barry.
- Community input
- Minutes from 05/01/2019 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. (Steve, Ruth).
- Review appraisals provided by GTRLC. Do we recommend that the township proceed on acquisition with
GTRLC assistance. If so, do we need to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township, using the “Application for Project” review process. Get back to GTRLC to let them know of our decision. HANDOUT(Dell)
- 6. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval. (Steve)
- Recommendation to board that they authorize Heidi Shaffer to work with us to request a permit for
for an erosion control project at Ball Park. Possible problem with deed restriction that would prohibit this work. HANDOUT(Ruth)
- 8. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): (Dell)
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Dell will meet with each township board member and Mike Crawford to get their input on the CIP project.
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by Mike or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
After meeting with board and Mike, Dell will do check sheet for committee members to use when assessing each park.
- Budget: Prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their July 2019 – June 2020 budget.
Volleyball Court work: $3000
Six new picnic tables: $ 600 – $800/each = $3600 – $4800
The Parks and Recreation Committee recommended that the board include $8,000 in 2019-2020 budget for P&R projects.
- Memorial donations to Helena Township. Proposed policy presented to board with a recommendation that they
approve and adopt. (Ruth)
- Do regular (monthly, quarterly ?) publicity for parks and recreation committee projects (Jan)(JUNE)
- 12. Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(JUNE)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap access in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
- Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan)