Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 05/01/2019
In attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Bonnie Robbins, Ruth Smith, & Laura Westerman, Absent: Jan Loveland
- Community input: Barry Snyder was in attendance. He pointed out several potential problems at the Ball Park. Barry also let us know that he is interested in serving on the Helena Township Parks and Recreation Committee. His name will be submitted to Rick Teague, supervisor, at the next HT Board meeting.
- Minutes from the 04/06/2019 meeting were approved as presented & will be published on the HT website
- Information from the April Helena Twp. Mtg.: It was mentioned by a board member that signs at Coy should include that there is no hunting. No hunting is also to be kept in mind for any future grant applications.
- OLD BUSINESS:
- Update on GTRLC/ Helena Twp. Coy Mtn. Trail project. The bid for cutting marked trees near the trail was approved by the board. We need to check to see whether or not the trees have been cut. We are still waiting to receive the proposed kiosk design.
- 5-Yr. Plan –Steve has been in touch with Tamara Jorkasky, our advisor at DNR, concerning our Five Yr. Plan. We believe everything has been completed and we are now waiting to hear if the plan has been approved.
- Erosion at the Ball Park – Laura, Steve, and I met with Heidi Shaffer, soil erosion control, and David Spieser, Habitat Landscapes, LLC at Ball Park. We discussed the undercutting erosion there. After P&R Committee discussion we are proposing that Heidi do the needed work to request a permit for an erosion control project. She has funds available for this permit. Heidi said that it can take quite a while to get approval on this type of permit. By applying now, we would be ready to start erosion control, if we wish to pursue this, when funding is found. Heidi told us the permit is good for a five-year period.
P&R Committee Minutes for 05/01 /2019 continued.
- Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Steve is working toward providing a format to use when evaluating each site for the CIP. In order to format this site evaluation tool Steve will continue contacting the HT board members and Mike Crawford to receive input from them.
- Budget: The P&R Committee is requesting that $8,000 be included in the 2019-2020 HT budget for P&R projects. We are looking at possible completion of one previously approved project – removing one volleyball court and improving the most eastern court at Depot Park. We also would like to replace some of the older ‘nasty’ picnic tables. NEW BUSINESS:
- Memorial Donations to Helena Township. The P&R Committee is presenting a possible memorial donation policy to the board. We are suggesting donations go toward ‘memorial’ bricks at Depot Park. All purposed donations will be reviewed by the P&R Committee. A recommendation will be sent to the HT Board after the P&R Committee reviews the proposed donation.
- Do regular (monthly, quarterly?) publicity for parks and recreation committee projects. This was discussed and will also be moved to the June agenda.
- Tri-fold brochures and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. This was discussed and will also be moved to the June agenda.
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 05/03/2019
- The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, June 5th, 2019 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg.