Parks & Rec Minutes March 6, 2019

      Comments Off on Parks & Rec Minutes March 6, 2019

Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 03/06/2019                       Approved 04-03-2019 All in attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Bonnie Robbins, Ruth Smith, & Laura Westerman,

  • Community input: None.
  • Minutes from 02/06/2019 meeting were approved as presented & will be published on the HT website
  • Information from the February Helena Twp. Mtg.: I gave the written report on P&R Committee meeting which I sent to the Bd and you via email 2-12- ’19   HT Budget issues. Rd repair – SE Torch Lk Dr. $120,000   Helena $126,000    $97,500 in for Rds. and same for CC Building fund. Two more payments are needed to repay monies borrowed for the downtown light project. ($41,000+ July ’19 & ’20).   Cathy plans to figure out how much rental income (non-millage) from CC is available.


  • Update on GTRLC/ Helena Twp. Coy Mtn. Trail project. Steve has been in touch with Steve Lagerquist. He had someone in mind to give us an estimate on cutting the selected trees near the Coy Mt. Trail. The snow had a different idea. Steve L. is now looking for someone to come in when the trail allows to give an estimate on the cost of this tree cutting work.


  • 5-Yr. Plan – update on status of the plan with the DNR. Steve has been working with Tamara Jorkasky our advisor at DNR. Communication has been difficult. Steve will continue working with Tamara to get supporting documentation uploaded onto the DNR system.
  • Erosion at the Ball Park. David Spieser did not send information on his company but Steve has been in touch to again ask for information on the company and what it does. Steve plans to bring the information to the Committee for review at the April meeting.
  • Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): We will limit the scope of our CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only. Parks, Road Ends, and water trails were ‘assigned’ to committee members as follows: Ball Park – Laura Westerman, Coy Mt. – Steve Dell, Community Center – Bonnie Robbins,


P&R Committee Minutes for 03/06/2019 continued.                     Approved 04-03-2019         

  1. Continued. Depot Park – Jan Loveland, Road Endings – Bonnie Robbins & Jim Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing – Ruth Smith, Tennis Court Park – Ruth Smith, Water Trails – Steve Dell. Steve will meet with each township board member and Mike Crawford to get their input on the CIP project. The following items will be included for discussion and any items identified by Mike or the board will be added. – For each park, road end, and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.

          For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)

            –           For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.

            –           For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.

            –           Other: After meeting with Township Board members & Mike Crawford, Dell will do a check sheet for committee members to use when assessing each park.



  • Budget: For next year (due in May for June budget review) – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their July 2019 -June 2020 budget (March) There was some discussion. To be on the April agenda.



  • Decide what Twp. Roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan) (Steve) – We will be putting this on the future agenda items to be reviewed in July.
  • Memorial donations to Helena Township (March) There was some discussion on memorial donations and a possible procedure or policy. To be on the April agenda.The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, April 3rd,2019 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg.


  1. Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 03/07/2019