Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 05/01/2019
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 04/03/2019 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. (Steve, Ruth).
- 5. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval. (Steve)
- David Spieser to look at Ball Park erosion and give estimate to stabilize. (Steve, Ruth)
- 7. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): (Dell)
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Dell will meet with each township board member and Mike Crawford to get their input on the CIP project.
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by Mike or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
After meeting with board and Mike, Dell will do check sheet for committee members to use when assessing each park.
Dell will meet with Township Board members in April and report in May to Committee.
- Budget: For March/April next year – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their
July 2019 – June 2020 budget. Bonnie will get info from Dave. Ruth and Steve will talk to Mike about what is
needed this year.
Volleyball Court work: $3000
Six new picnic tables: $ 600 – $800/each = $3600 – $4800
- Memorial donations to Helena Township and stones at TC Park. Ruth and Steve will discuss and bring back to
Committee and then take to the township board. (Ruth, Steve)
- Do regular (monthly, quarterly ?) publicity for parks and recreation committee projects (Jan)(MAY)
- 11. Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(MAY)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap access in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
- Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and
Conservancy. Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
Status of project (Steve)
- Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan)