Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 02/06/2019
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 01/02/2019 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project (Jim, Ruth).
- 5. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval. (Steve)
- Steve and Ruth talk with Heidi Schaffer about erosion at ball park. Steve contact David Spieser to look at
erosion and give estimate to stabilize. (Steve)
- DNR Grant training in Grayling Tuesday Jan. 15, 1:00-4:00. (Ruth)
- Membership of Peeples on Parks and Recreation Committee.
- Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (FEB)
- Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(FEB)
- 11. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
– Divide up parks, road endings and water trails between P&R members.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– Discuss with township officials and Mike Crawford to get their input on project.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
- Budget: For March/April next year – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their
July 2019 – June 2020 budget.(MARCH)
- Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan) (Steve)(MARCH)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
- Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and
Conservancy. Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
Status of project (Steve)
- Memorial donations to Helena Township and stones at TC Park (MAR)