Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 3/02/2022 Approved 4/6/2022
In attendance: Brian Apley, Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Ruth Smith, & Barry Snyder
Not in attendance: Bonnie Robbins
Non-members in attendance: Butch Peeples
1. Meeting called to order at apx. 7:00pm
2. The meeting minutes from 02/03/2022 were approved & will be published on the HT website.
3. Information from the February HT Board Meetings: No new information received.
4. No public comment.
5. Soil Erosion at the Ball Park. Barry, Brian, Bonnie, & Butch are working on plans to help lessen the soil erosion at the Ball Park. Steve mentioned the possibility of having a ‘professional’ design plan constructed for the park. He wondered if this might be something that a college student or class might take on as a project. Barry said he would talk with someone he has in mind to see if they might take this on. More bids are needed on erosion control. This will be pursued this spring.
6.Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). Steve continues to work to try to come up with needed software for this project. He has also reached out to the Elk Rapids Dept of Public Works to see what system they use. He will follow up on this.
7. Recognition of volunteers who worked on Coy Mtn. Trail redo and a celebration of the completion of the trail update project and purchase of additional land. The committee discussed dates and we are going to pursue Saturday, July 16th as a date for this event. Jan & Ruth plan to coordinate with the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy (GTRLC) and Ken Masck to plan this event. Jan will also work on a possible news release.
8. Toddler playground installation and celebration. The last item is to be installed in the Spring. Jan will be working on some type of celebration with news coverage. This is expected to take place in May or June. Jan has talked with someone from the library about participating. It is hoped that the Sprigs & Sprouts Day Care can be involved. Brian Apley is offering to bring some petting ponies for the event.
9. Update on Federal Covid rescue money coming to HT. There have been no decisions made concerning these funds. It will remail on the agenda for April.
NEW BUSINESS: None.
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 03/03/2022