Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 6/03/2020
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- 7:00 pm: Call the meeting to order.
- Minutes from 3/04/2020 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Park: Heidi Shaffer will contact EGLE to discuss what might be needed for this project if we include excavation for a beach area. Barry agreed to pursue getting estimates of costs for shoreline stabilization. Heidi provided a list of local service providers. Ruth will follow up with Heidi about contacting EGLE to see what is involved with moving dirt from the RR grade to the ditch to the East.(Barry, Ruth).
- 5. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP):
Software is here. Dell is learning how to use it before providing it to the township.(Dell)
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Snyder/Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by P&R or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each item in the asset, assign a number to identify that item and mark it with a permanent marker on a part of the item that is protected from the weather. Use this identifying number when describing the item in your assessment sheet.(NEW)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
Bonnie has agreed to input data initially on the CIP computer program and maintain the data going forward. Computer software for CIP program will be delivered in June.(Dell)
- Parking issues at safe harbor. Burt Thompson to confer with Sheriff and then draw up plan for parking at Safe Harbor. He will contact Barry with the information. Parking plan received.(Barry, Ruth)(JUNE)
- Signage for Coy Mountain Preserve.
5 UR Here signs with numbered directional arrows
1 Kiosk with language to be worked out with us
Hunting: Does the twp board want to prohibit hunting on all township property, including Coy?
Interpretive Signs: How many interpretive signs do we want, and at what location in the park do we want them.
Flora and fauna?
Writeup on Torch Lake at the lake overview area.
Identifying the trees found in Coy.
Steve Lagerquist will present ideas for signs to P&R. (Bonnie, Jan,Ruth,Laura,Barry,Jim,Steve)(MARCH)
- Policy to protect what we have in our parks (Jan).
- Do budget for P&R to take to the township.
- Two proposals for projects in Helena Township Historical Society, Paul Delange.
- Recognition of volunteers who worked on Coy Mtn. trail redo. An article in one or more of the papers was the
suggestion the committee liked best(Jan)(APRIL)
- Celebration of the completion of the Coy Mountain Preserve trail redo (Jan) (APRIL)
- Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(APRIL)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Annual assessment of Coy Mountain Trails and trees that need cutting and report to Twp. Board (Steve, Ruth)(NOV)
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. Signs won’t be coming until Spring. (Dell)(MAY)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation website (Ruth, Steve) (SEPT of each year)