Minutes -Parks and Recreation Committee Meeting – Alden Community Center
01/15/2013 Approved 2-19-2013
In attendance – Steve Dell, Jan Loveland Carolyn Nowfel, Dave Peterson & Ruth Smith
absent – Harvey Bartel, Mike Crawford, & Casey McDowell
Community In put none
Minutes from 12/11/2012 meeting approved as presented.
Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg.:
Dec. 13th Meeting The Three Lakes Association presented information on the Eurasian water milfoil plant at Alden Safe Harbor. The board will be working with the Three Lakes Association on trying to control this invasive species. Jan. 10th Meeting Dave reported that more information was received from the Three Lakes Association concerning a plan for applying herbicides early next summer.
Alden Safe Harbor – Is it park or road ending We have paperwork showing the Township accepted jurisdiction of the road ending at the end of Helena St. to the waters edge of Torch Lake. Dave looked through grant paperwork but could not find any further paperwork showing ownership of the property. Steve checked again with Bob Logee and Bob does not feel he will find anything more concerning this property.
There is a 2013 Recreation Grants Workshop Feb. 7th in Grayling. Steve is planning to attend.
No new agenda items were offered. However, Jan has volunteered to send a memo to the Township about needed landscaping at The Depot Park.
FIVE YEAR PLAN Any item underlined denotes action needed.
Report on assignments/research/activities since last meeting (Carolyn, Dave, Harvey, Jan, Ruth, Steve).
FIVE YEAR PLAN CONTINUED Any item underlined denotes action needed.
- Continue typing new 5-year-plan as items come to her from P&R Committee members.
- Has completed the calendar of events for the 5-year-plan showing at what site the events take place.
- To continue to review the P&R public survey and results and work with Jan for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Depot and the Helena Township Community Center.
- Compile the information needed for the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities for Alden Safe Harbor and Archie Valleau Landing & Email to Ruth
- The decision has been made to call the Dock Park the Alden Safe Harbor.
- Dave had a new map issued showing the agreed upon numbering system for the Five Year plan. However, the decision has now been made not to include Valley Street on the map as we have no proof it is a road endings for which Helena Twn. has accepted jurisdiction. Dave will Ask that a map without Valley Street ,reflecting the new P & R numbering / lettering system, be done. It will identify the Parks and Road endings lake access sites.
- Review the P & R public survey results and work with Harvey for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Ball Park, Alden Safe Harbor, and Archie Valleau Landing.
- Redo the narrative description concerning the Ball Park. This will supplement the inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas & Recreational Facilities Grid.
- Determine what ACD and HE mean in old plan. Harvey to check with former P&R members.
- Prepare a Resource Inventory for the P & R 5-year plan that will list possible land acquisition goals for the future.
- Review the P & R public survey results and work with Dave for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Ball Park, Alden Safe Harbor, and Archie Valleau Landing
- Redo the narrative description concerning the Archie Valleau Landing and the Alden Safe Harbor. This will supplement the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas & Recreational Facilities Grid.
1. Jan presented a lot of good ideas for the Depot Park and will now work with Carolyn to put ideas into the grid format. Jan & Carolyn will continue to review the P&R public survey results for ideas to be included in the goals & objectives section of the 5-year-plan for The Depot and the Helena Twn. Community Center.
1.The approved December minutes are to be sent to Joyce Looman & to Rick Teague. The January minutes need to be prepared for review by the Committee.
- Redo the narrative description concerning Coy Mountain and The Tennis Court Parks. This will supplement the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas & Recreational Facilities Grid. Has made some contacts to obtain information but needs to look over and write up.
- Work with Steve to update the grid format of the Inventory of Existing Parks, Natural Areas and Recreational Facilities when needed information is received
- Review the P&R public survey and results and work with Steve for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for Tennis Court Park and Coy Mt. Reserve.
- Checked with Christie Bayus and no prior registration is needed for the February Rec. grant workshop.
6. Send grids to Committee members.
- Review the P&R public survey and results and work with Ruth for ideas to be included in the goals and objectives section of the 5-year-plan for Tennis Court Park and Coy Mt. Reserve.
- Added discussion of attending Recreation Grant workshop to the January agenda
- Changed January agenda by alphabetizing the names of committee members under the Five Year Plan.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
These items will continue to be carried forward until they are discussed by the Committee
1. Deed restrictions for Helena Twp. parks (discuss in February-bring copies of deeds-Steve).
2. Riparian rights / possible review by township attorney (Dave)
3. Valley St Rd ending not listed on resolution accepting jurisdiction from Antrim Co. Rd Comm. by Helena Township. Memo to Board regarding this? (Steve)
4. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion).
5. Research rules and laws governing road ending lake access sites (Steve, Ruth)
6. Discuss possible memo to the Twn about developing a plan concerning reservation of usage for all Twn Parks
7. Discuss possible memo to the Township concerning placing signs at all Parks to clarify Township ownership and whom to contact if there are questions concerning or problems with the Park
8. Further discuss Alden Safe Harbor and its park status / ownership memo to Board?
The next meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 19th, at 3 PM
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 01-18-13