Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 2/05/2020
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Call the meeting to order. Adjourn meeting and open public hearing on plan for Helena Township to apply for a DNR
- Trust Fund Grant to acquire property adjacent to the Coy Mountain Preserve. Public input.
- Minutes from 1/01/2020 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Park: Heidi Schaffer to discuss project (Ruth).
- Coy Mtn Acquisition Project: Update (Steve).
- 6. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): (Dell)
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Snyder/Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by Mike or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each item in the asset, assign a number to identify that item and mark it with a permanent marker on a part of the item that is protected from the weather. Use this identifying number when describing the item in your assessment sheet.(NEW)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
Bonnie has agreed to input data initially on the CIP computer program and maintain the data going forward. Computer software for CIP program will be delivered in June.(Dell)
- Parking issues at safe harbor. Barry and Laura to meet with Burt Thompson of Antrim Co. Road Commission and report
back to committee. (Barry, Laura)(FEB)
- Signage for Coy Mountain Preserve. Steve Lagerquist has stated the following inventory for signs needed at Coy: 5 UR Here signs with numbered directional arrows; 1 Kiosk with language to be worked out with us. What else do we
need? Final input from committee to be sent to GTRLC by Steve Dell (Bonnie, Jan)(FEB)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website. Bonnie to look over P&R website and report in
January (Bonnie, Ruth, Steve) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)(FEB)
- 10. Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(FEB)
- Policy to protect what we have in our parks (Jan).
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Recognition of volunteers who worked on Coy Mtn. trail redo. An article in one or more of the papers was the
suggestion the committee liked best(Jan)(APRIL)
- Celebration of the completion of the Coy Mountain Preserve trail redo (Jan) (APRIL)
- Annual assessment of Coy Mountain Trails and trees that need cutting and report to Twp. Board (Steve, Ruth)(NOV)
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. Signs won’t be coming until Spring. (Dell)(MARCH)