Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 09/04/2019
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 08/07/2019 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Park: 1) Heidi Shaffer completed a grant request for erosion control. If they do received a grant we will further discuss erosion control at Ball Park. 2) Board approved Heidi applying for erosion control permit for Ball Park. She will work with Rick Teague on the application. 3) Deed restrictions may hinder erosion control at Ball Park. If our application for a erosion control permit is approved, we will again take this matter to the Township Board for further clarification. (Ruth)
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. Still waiting on signs and kiosk completion by GTRLC. (Dell)
- GTRLC wants to know how much the township can provide for this project. What steps do we take to determine this?
Need to get back to GTRLC to give them a dollar amount.
Need to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township, using the “Application for Project” review process. Steve notified Todd Vigland that we are researching possible funding sources and will get back to them at a future date.(Steve, Ruth).
- 7. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval.
We still have not received an update. We will follow up on a request that the HT Supervisor contact the DNR requesting the status of the HT 5-year-plan that was submitted in July of 2018. (Bonnie, Ruth)
- 8. Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): (Dell)
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell, Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Dell will meet with each township board member and Mike Crawford to get their input on the CIP project.
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by Mike or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
After meeting with board and Mike, Dell will do check sheet for committee members to use when assessing each park. (Dell)
- 9. Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(SEPT)
- Are these tasks complete. If so, do we need to write up a formal summary addressing all the items below and present it to the board?
Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(AUGUST)
Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Discussion of parking at all of our parks including Safe Harbor/Archie Valleau Landing (Ruth, Jan)
- Consider doing recognition of work/workers who redid the Coy Mountain trails (Steve,Ruth)
- Community money donations for the preservation/next resurfacing of the tennis courts in Tennis Court Park.
The township has received inquiries about this. To donate to ARSC or the Township? Discussion. (Steve,Ruth
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Ruth, Steve) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS: