Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 9/05/2018
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 8/01/2018 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. (Steve)
- 5. 5-year-plan approved by Twp. Board submitted to DNR on 7/27/2018. Waiting on approval. (Steve)
- Pickleball tournament to benefit your ARSC and Open House for Tennis Courts per DNR grant obligations.(Ruth/Steve/Jan)
- FOCUS Fund Endowment Grant Application(Ruth, Laura)
- Steve and Ruth talk with Heidi Schaffer about erosion at ball park.
- Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at the entire county (see master plan) (Steve)
- Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and
Conservancy. Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
Possible land at top of Coy for sale. Do we want to initiate contact with conservancy to move this forward?
- Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each
item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve). (SEPT)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
- Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (SEPT)
- Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Review with 2nd bid. (Mike)(SEPT)
- Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events.(SEPT)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
- Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
- Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
- Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
- If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
- After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
- Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn. as first step in developing management plan.(JULY)
- Memorial donations to Helena Township(NOVEMBER)
- Budget: For March/April next year – prepare a budget to present to the HT board to be included in their
July 2019 – June 2020 budget.(MARCH)