Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 10/04/2017
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
1. Community and stakeholder’s Input
2. Minutes from 9/06/2017 meeting (Ruth).
3. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
4. Recreational Passport Grant from DNR: (Steve) DNR requested copy of bids on concrete work.
5. Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Review with 2nd bid. (Mike)
6. HT Parks Community Survey and revision of our 5-year plan. (Steve/Ruth/Jan/Jim/Bonnie)
Assignments for chapter revisions:
Community Description: Jim
Administrative Structure: Bonnie
Inventory of parks…etc: Ruth/Steve
Previous Grant Assisted Parks: Ruth/Steve
Resource Inventory: Ruth Steve
Description of Planning…etc: Bonnie
Goals, Objectives…etc: Ruth/Steve
Plan Certification Checklist: Steve
Create database for respondents
who requested contact: Jan
(Completed) July 1 – July 31: Monkey Survey to get public input. Also newspapers, flyers, postcards.
(Completed) August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension will help.
Meet with other groups (DABA, AV, etc.) to discuss results and get input.
(Discuss) Sept – October: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan”
(Discuss ) November: Consider approval of plan at regular P&R meeting and at same meeting get public
input on the plan.
March 1: Submit plan to DNR prior to this date. (MONTHLY UNTIL COMPLETE)
8. Steve to get Jim Moore from Disability Network to walk Ball Park for accessibility assessment. (Ruth/Jan)
9. Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
10. Open House for Tennis Courts per DNR grant obligations. (Steve/Ruth)
11. Resignation of Mike Crawford. Vacancy on committee.
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
2. Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan
for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
A. Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist,
asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
B. If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to
the HT Board separately.
C. After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
3. Volunteer hold-harmless form. New info from Twp. Ins Company (Ruth,Steve) (NOV)
4. Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each item and
establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve). (NOV)
5. Memorial donations to Helena Township(NOV)
6. Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and Conservancy.
Use “Application for Project” review process. (Back to agenda when budget received).
7. Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at entire county (See Master Plan). (MARCH)
8. Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn as first step in developing management plan.(MARCH)
9. Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (MAY)