Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 1/01/2020 (ouch)
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
- Community input
- Minutes from 11/06/2019 meeting (Ruth).
- Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
- Soil Erosion at the Ball Park: Deed restrictions issue: Ruth to bring copies of deed for Ball Park to January Mtg. If our application for a erosion control permit is approved, we will again take this matter to the Township Board for further clarification. (Ruth)
- Coy Mtn Acquisition Project: GTRLC is doing fund raiser to see if acquisition funds can be raised privately without going through a DNR Grant application. Steve will bring timeframe info for DNR grant process to January mtg so we can plan out applying for a grant in case private fundraising doesn’t work.
- 5-year-plan approved by DNR on November 19, 2019 (HALLELUJAH!!!). Pass out copies to committee members (Steve).
- Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): (Dell)
Limit scope of CIP to Parks and Recreation jurisdictions only.
Ball Park: Snyder/Westerman, Coy Mtn: Dell,
Comm. Cntr: Robbins, Depot Park: Loveland
Road Endings: Robbins/Gurr, Safe Harbor & Archie Valleau Landing: Smith,
Tennis Court Park: Smith, Water Trails: Dell
Include the following items for discussion and add any items identified by Mike or the board.
– For each park, road end and water trail site, inventory all items in the asset.
– For each item in the asset, determine date acquired (age), current condition, useful life of item and date it may need to be replaced (use Mike to help with this)
– For each item in the asset, assign a number to identify that item and mark it with a permanent marker on a part of the item that is protected from the weather. Use this identifying number when describing the item in your assessment sheet.(NEW)
– For each asset, identify future projects and compile a budget and date of implementation.
– For each asset, identify future costs to replace each item inventoried and date replacement needed.
– For each asset, do an assessment of the handicap access.(NEW)
– Identify funding sources for any projects planned for that site.(NEW)
Bonnie has agreed to input data initially on the CIP computer program and maintain the data going forward. Computer software for CIP program will be delivered in June.(Dell)
- Coy Mountain forest management plan accepted by the Board? (Jim, Ruth, Bonnie)
- Parking issues at safe harbor. Barry and Laura to meet with Burt Thompson of Antrim Co. Road Commission and report
back to committee. (Barry, Laura)(JAN)
- Fundraising and signage for Coy Mountain Preserve. Laura to contact GTRLC about P&R doing fundraising project that
might influence signage. Steve Lagerquist has stated the following inventory for signs needed at Coy: 5 UR Here signs
with numbered directional arrows; 1 Kiosk with language to be worked out with us. What else do we
need? (Laura, Jan, Steve)(JAN)
- Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website. Bonnie to look over P&R website and report in
January (Bonnie, Ruth, Steve) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
- 12. Tri-fold brochure and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. (Bonnie, Jan)(JAN)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
- Recognition of volunteers who worked on Coy Mtn. trail redo. An article in one or more of the papers was the
suggestion the committee liked best(Jan)(APRIL)
- Celebration of the completion of the Coy Mountain Preserve trail redo (Jan) (APRIL)
- Annual assessment of Coy Mountain Trails and trees that need cutting and report to Twp. Board (Steve, Ruth)(NOV)
- Update on GTRLC/Helena Twp. Coy Mtn project. Signs won’t be coming until Spring. (Dell)(MARCH)