Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 06/05/2019 approved 07/03/2019 In attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Ruth Smith, & Laura Westerman Absent: Bonnie Robbins and Barry Snyder
- Community input: None
- Minutes from the 05/01/2019 meeting were approved as presented & will be published on the HT website
- Information from the May Helena Twp. Mtg.: Deana Jerdee, ED for Paddle Antrim was given permission to put up kiosks at the Helena Township Landing sites. Materials to be put into the kiosk are to be screened by our P&R Committee first.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Update on Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy (GTRLC)/ Helena Twp. Coy Mtn. Trail project. The marked trees have been cut so that the only project left at Coy Mt. is the proposed kiosk. This is still in the design process through GTRLC.
- Possible land acquisition at Coy Mt. This was discussed and the possibility will be presented to the board. We have not yet completed an Application for Project review of this proposed action.
- 5-Yr. Plan. Steve has again been in touch with Tamara Jorkasky, our advisor at DNR, concerning our Five Yr. Plan. He has not heard back from her.
- Erosion at the Ball Park – The committee reviewed the deed at the Ball Park and we feel that the deed language restricts us from the erosion control project we recommended to the board. This will be discussed with Heidi Shaffer.
- Capital Improvement Plan (CIP): Steve continues working toward providing a format to use when evaluating each site for the CIP. In order to format this site evaluation tool Steve will continue contacting the HT board members and Mike Crawford to receive input from them.
- Budget: The board seemed favorable to our recommendation that $8,000 for P&R projects be included in the 2019-2020 HT budget.
- Memorial Donations to Helena Township. The board approved the P&R Committee memorial donation policy presented at the May meeting.
Do regular (monthly, quarterly?) publicity for parks and recreation committee projects. The committee decided that publicity will not be done on a scheduled basis but as needed for individual events or projects.
- Tri-fold brochures and some “high-tech” chips telling about our parks and community events. This was discussed and will be moved to the July agenda.Some items from the future agenda items list were discussed. The discussion on forest management will be on the July agenda and the item on bicycle routes was removed.
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 06/10/2019
- The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019 at 7pm in the meeting room at the Community Bldg.