Parks and Recreation Committee Minutes for 09/02/2020 Approved 10/7/2020 In attendance: Steve Dell, Jim Gurr, Jan Loveland, Bonnie Robbins, Ruth Smith, Barry Snyder, & Laura Westerman. Absent: No one Non-members in attendance: No one 1. Meeting called to order.
Community Input… A P&R member received public input concerning the use of Safe Harbor by those renting out boats commercially. The concern is that those renting the commercial boats are often blocking the loading space. A further complaint was that at times these rental boats were using all of the boat slips.
- The meeting minutes from 08/05/2020 were approved as presented & will be published on the HT website.
- From HT August Meeting. The board approved $673.20 to pay for the stripping at Archie Valleau Landing. The board was told that the signage at Coy Mt.is now correct. When this came up it reminded us that it is felt there should be no hunting signs installed anywhere there is property far enough away from a home so that hunting would be legal. OLD BUSINESS:
- Soil erosion at the Ball Park. Barry Snyder plans to present a site plan of the Ball Park for use at the October meeting.
We believe the current township’s plan is to repair some of the wooden fence and install some metal chain link fence.
- Capital Improvement Plan (CIP). Steve has asked for the CIP information that committee members have put together. He will input the information into the software program and determine how the program can best be used. This will be further discussed in October. Steve will investigate the cost of replacement tables and benches. We have metal tags that will be attached to each table and bench to help with identification of assets for the Capital Improvement Plan.
6 Tri-fold brochures to help people know about our parks and community events. This is in the works and Bonnie will look into a brochure holder to be attached to signs at the Parks.
- ARSC discussed reopening the HT CC to PB. The HT Board tabled this until the Sept. meeting.
- Annual Review of Website. Steve and Ruth are to complete a review of the P&R portion of the HT Website during September and report back at the October meeting.
Items discussed but not on the agenda: Steve noticed that the Rotary Club of Traverse Bay Sunrise Foundation is offering mini-grants of up to $1,000 in support of community focused projects. He wondered if P&R would be supportive of the Alden Racquet Sports Committee looking into pursuing a grant to purchase a toddler toy. There was support for this idea.
Bonnie noticed a Sustainable Built Environment initiative that we want to look into to see if there is a chance that we might be able to use that platform/ initiative when working on our plan for the Ball Park.
The next monthly meeting is scheduled for: Wednesday, October 7th, 2020 at 7pm in the Community Bldg.
Respectfully submitted by Ruth Smith 09/11/2020