Parks and Recreation Committee Agenda for 9/06/2017
Meeting time is 7:00 – 9:00 pm on the first Wednesday of the month.
1. Community Input
2. Minutes from 8/02/2017 meeting (Ruth).
3. Information from monthly Helena Twp. Mtg. (Bonnie/Jim/Ruth).
4. Recreational Passport Grant from DNR: (Steve) Processing final reimbursement request to DNR.
5. Committee to review GT Regional Land Conservancy draft partnership agreement with Helena Township and Conservancy. Use “Application for Project” review process. Best way to approach board if approved?(Move to August)
6. Erosion Abatement Project at Ball Park. Review with 2nd bid. (Mike)
7. HT Parks Community Survey. (Steve/Ruth/Jan/Jim)
Hand out assignments to begin revision of 5-year-plan. Discuss stakeholder’s meeting.
Revision of our five-year-plan.
(Completed) July 1 – July 31: Monkey Survey to get public input. Also newspapers, flyers, postcards.
August: Public meeting to get input on survey results. Coop Extension will help.
Meet with other groups (DABA, AV, etc.) to discuss results and get input.
Sept – October: Complete “Recreation and Natural Resources Plan”
November: Consider approval of plan at regular P&R meeting and at same meeting get public
input on the plan.
March 1: Submit plan to DNR prior to this date. (MONTHLY UNTIL COMPLETE)
8. Steve to get Jim Moore from Disability Network to walk Ball Park for accessibility assessment. (Steve) Still trying to
agree on date to meet.
9. Annual review of the Parks and Recreation Committee website (Steve/Ruth) (SEPT OF EACH YEAR)
10. Decide what Twp roads would be the best for a bicycle route. Look at entire county (See Master Plan). (SEPT)
11. Reaching agreement between P&R and Twp. Board on goals for Coy Mtn as first step in developing management plan.(SEPT)
12. Request for a second pickleball court (Ruth)(SEPT)
13. Get copy of HT Park surveys that have been completed for the P&R Resource Book? (Ruth) (SEPT)
FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Handicap parking in Helena Township (Discussion). (TO BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE REVIEW EACH PARK)
2. Coy Mountain forest management: We were asked by the Helena Twp. Board to come up with a forest plan for Coy Mtn. (See the March 2016 meeting minutes for specifics). Our current plan involves the following activities:
A. Come up with a plan for forest management and an improved trail system. This might involve bringing in an ecologist, asking Mike Meriwether to speak to us, or both.
B. If the committee reworks the trail system before the overall forest management plan is completed, we may present it to the HT Board separately.
C. After our Forest Management Plan for Coy Mtn. is completed, it will be taken to HT Board for review and action.
3. Volunteer hold-harmless form. New info from Twp. Ins Company (Ruth,Steve) (NOV)
4. Capital Improvement Plan: For each park, inventory all items in the park. Create an estimate for the useful life of each item and establish a schedule for replacing each item. Possible software program (Steve). (NOV)
5. Memorial donations to Helena Township(NOV)